You know what they say … informed consumers are smart consumers. Well, okay … that is what WE say about consumers interested in water softeners who have done some research. It’s a good thing to know what you want and where to find it. Investing in a home water softener is a great step toward improving quality of life and your home’s equity. But, knowing a little about water softeners and the water softener regeneration process will help you choose wisely. Our specialists can also help!
Why do I need a water softener?
We are thrilled when people ask us this question because we LOVE to share all of the benefits of soft water! Could you see yourself with:
- Softer and smoother skin?
- Water-using appliances that last longer and run better?
- Whiter or brighter (and softer) clothing?
- Less money being spent on energy bills?
- Reduced use of soaps and detergents?
- Fewer spots on glasses, dishes or hard water stains on your tub and shower?
A home water softener can help with all of these things and more!
What is water softener regeneration?
We have talked about the water softening process before. But, the regeneration process is also important to know, so you can compare products and models. Water softener regeneration is the process whereby your softener’s resin (which is full of hard minerals like magnesium and calcium) is flushed and your tank is now clean and ready to soften water once again. There are usually three steps involved in traditional systems:
- Backwash: the hard minerals are passed through the resin beads and brine solution.
- Regeneration/Recharge: the calcium and magnesium ions are exchanged for sodium ions which last until the brine tank is completely full and needs to be flushed.
- Rinse: a slow rinse ensures time for the ion exchange process while a fast rinse ensures all hard water minerals have been removed into the resin.
What water softener features are important?
You’ll want to find a water softener that is eco-friendly, wastes as little water as possible, and does not leak brine water into your plumbing or the ground. It should also come with a warranty and regenerate quickly so you’re not waiting around for your softened water. Our specialists can help you choose which model is right for your household water demands and hardness levels, size and flow rates.
You can choose a salt-based water softener and add salt yourself. Or, we offer convenient portable exchange tank service where your soft water is delivered right to your home by one of our technicians. Are you ready to choose the best water softener for YOUR household? Give us a call – we can help!